Mercury Toxicity

What is mercury amalgam?

While they may be silver in color, the term “silver fillings,” is actually a misnomer. The actual filling material consists of an amalgam (or mixture) of over 50% mercury and approximately 30% silver. This mercury component of the dental filling has been scientifically demonstrated to be more toxic that lead, cadmium, or even arsenic, and is the most toxic, non-radioactive substance known to man.

Mercury amalgam fillings are unfortunately still a commonly used dental restorative material. Mercury amalgam has been widely used for over a century, despite numerous studies that link mercury, a known neurotoxin (a poison that damages the brain and nerve tissue), to many serious health maladies.

Why is mercury so dangerous?

Mercury from the amalgam fillings has been proven to deplete and suppress the immune system. Mercury escapes from the filling in the form of a vapor that is absorbed directly into the brain; it is absorbed at a rate of 80% into the lungs and arterial blood. This toxic vapor escapes constantly from fillings – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The rate of vaporization increases when the fillings are stimulated by hot liquids, chewing and even brushing your teeth. Mercury that leaks from the fillings is also stored pre-natally in a pregnant woman’s developing fetus and post-natally in the mother’s breast milk.

If you have old or new mercury fillings, you should know that you may not necessarily experience any symptoms. But because mercury toxicity is a cumulative toxicity and as such, can store itself in many tissues of the body for years, it is possible that your fillings may be the cause of chronic maladies that have affected you for years.

Bottom line: there is no “harmless” level of mercury vapor exposure.

Due to the compelling evidence implicating mercury amalgam fillings in many disease processes and health disturbances, Dr. Evans and Dr. Nordin have practiced mercury-free dentistry for over 35 years. They believe strongly that the currently available non-mercury alternatives can be used for ALL restorative procedures.

But should I have my mercury fillings removed?

If a patient truly wants to achieve health and well-being, they need to consider removal of their mercury amalgam dental fillings. It is of great importance to note however, that the patient must be protected (mercury amalgam removal protocol) during the removal process to avoid greater contamination by exposure to the mercury debris.

We want to enable you to make the most informed decisions about your health. Our website is only one of many tools you should utilize to determine the best course of action for your dental health and your overall well-being.

Connect With Us

We look forward to meeting you.

Contact us today at 978-449-9919 to schedule an appointment.