For healthy teeth and gums Groton Wellness recommends Oil Swishing. This old Ayurvedic techinique helps pull bacteria from the mouth in a simple and non-invansive way.
Oil swishing or pulling is the act of swishing oil (we recommend organicCoconut) in the mouth for up to 20 minutes to improve oral health.
Benefits of Oil Swishing
You can findhundreds of testimonials online from people who have experienced benefits from oil swishing, including improvingskin conditions, headaches, arthritis, asthma, infections, liver issues, hormone imbalances, and more.Our main reasons for recommending swishing are theoral health benefits (less plaque) and less sensitive (whiter) teeth.
There is nodownside to oil swishing as long as a quality oil (that is high enough quality to eat) is used and it is done correctly. Oil swishing is aninexpensive therapy that could potentially have great benefit on oral health, so give it a try and let us know theresults.
Oil Swishing Instructions
- Put 1-2 teaspoons of oil into the mouth(organic coconut oil).
- Swish for 20 minutes. The timing is important, according to Dr. Bruce Fife, author ofOil Pulling Therapy.This length of timeis long enough to break downplaque and bacteria but not long enough that the body starts re-absorbing the toxins and bacteria. The oil will get thicker as you swish and will be white when you spit out. It will increasein volume due to saliva.At first, it willbe difficult to make it the full 20 minutes, so don’t worryif you canonly swish for 5-10 minutes.
- Spit oil into the trash can or out side. Don’t spit into the sinkbecause the oil may thicken and clog pipes. Do not swallow the oil as it is hopefully full of bacteria and toxins that have been pulled from in and around your teeth!
- Rinse well with warm water. Swish a few times with warm water to get any remaining oil out of yourmouth. Some sources recommend swishing with warm salt water.
- Brush wellto make sure any remaining bacteria is killed.