Persistent bad breath can be embarrassing, but it is completely treatable. Over 85% of all incidences of halitosis (another name for chronic bad breath) are the result of a variety of oral conditions including gum disease, which can very seriously affect your overall health and can lead to tooth loss.
Some of the varied causes of halitosis can be:
- Tooth Decay
- Gum Inflammation/Disease (Periodontal Disease)
- Infections of the nose and/or sinuses
- Insufficient Oral Hygiene
- Diet – regular ingestion of odor-causing foods like garlic and onions
- Chronic Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
- A handful of medical disorders
- Certain medications
If you are troubled by chronic bad breath, schedule an appointment with us to assess the health of your gums and teeth. Bacteria in the mouth and on the tongue are the most frequent cause of bad breath, but an exam with your dentist will determine whether or not a more serious condition exists.
The doctors at Groton Wellness can help determine the cause of halitosis. If it is due to an oral condition, they will develop safe, effective treatments to reverse the effects of this embarrassing condition.